Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Go and Sin No More

John 8:11 – Jesus tells the adulterous woman the above words. Do you know that this is not always that easy? That darn sin, you are going along just fine, happy and then BAM out of nowhere, an old comfortable sin comes along and says “Hey, I’m still here. Come on! Don’t you remember how much fun we used to have together?”

Sometimes, these thoughts hit me at the strangest times. Usually, I am able to brush them off by capturing my thoughts, but there are those times that I feel as if I need to chain myself down somewhere to keep myself safe. It is during these times that I often find myself crying.

I cry because I am so mad at that sin for coming at me when I am fine. I cry because I recall what that sin cost me in the first place. I cry because I thought I was free of that sin. I cry because I beg the Lord for strength to overcome that temptation to fall back into that sin. I cry because it is better to do that than to go and commit the sin itself.

I had a familiar sin relapse not all that long ago and was so surprised to see how I hated it. I was happy to see that I don’t think that sin could take me down anymore like it did before, which in the same moment also filled me with fear because that safe feeling is also a danger in would that lead me to dabble freely in my sin? No, that just made me want to stand up and say I will fight that urge even more.

I want to serve the Lord. In all I do and I do not want to go and sin. So today, I ask you to join me in prayer for all of those who have old sins that try to haunt them. That they have the strength to say no, to cry, to do whatever it takes to keep them safe. The strength to go and sin no more. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment