Monday, May 10, 2010

Courage

Courageous people risk their lives to do what is right. What do you want your legacy to be? There is an example of this in the Bible in Exodus 1:15-22 "The King of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiprah and Puah, "When you help the Hebrew women in childbirth and observe them on the delivery stool, if it is a boy, kill him: but if it is a girl, let her live." The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live."

Because of these midwives, babies were spared. They believed in the power of God, and had the courage to go against what they were told to do by the king.

How hard it is to go against what the world tells us to do. How hard at times it is to be a Christian in this world where things are so acceptable. An example of this is that last my husband turned on a comedy show by George Lopez and I felt the offense of his language in the pit of my stomach. Mind you, I really have been of the world, and am finding myself amazed by the honest sickness I feel when I have to be in the presence of things that so go against the grain of what God wants me to hear. I often think of the child's song:

Oh be careful little ears what you hear, oh be careful little ears what you hear, for the father up above is looking down in love, oh be careful little ears what you hear.

I want to be careful. I want to be brave enough to stand up and leave the room, to say no to the world and yes to God.

How hard it is to stand for what you believe in, especially when the outside circumstance and the world are like a full stream going against your little current.

Today my prayer request is that we Christians can make a difference, even if we only look like a ripple in a huge lake and make and take a stand for what we believe in, and walk out of the room when the George Lopez's of the world are making their voices heard and the Christ in us sick at how acceptable foulness has become. It's not funny. Maybe we aren't risking our lives by our courage in this small stand, but we are risking being labeled as prudes, or holier than thou, but I think Christ is worth it. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment