Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Safest Place to Be

What a great day this has been, actually what a great week. I am completely marveling at how wonderful it is to be living a life in God's will. Alas, perfection eludes me, but for the most part, I'm doing ok. Monday night was my first night of my 6 week long "Freedom from Smoking" class and our official quit date is October 25. Come that morning, I am planning on waking up for the first day of the rest of my life to be free from smoking. I know completely that this won't be easy, but I also know that my service to God will be with all I am once I make this step and I know that He is worth the struggle I am sure that I am going to be facing to make this happen. Heck, it's better than nails driven through my hands isn't it.

I had a friend tell me recently that he found his sanctuary in running. I am hoping that running is going to be something I find myself doing in the near future. I don't know why, but it has been calling me since Spring. I keep having this mental picture of me running and I hope that it is something I find myself doing in the next few months. I want to come to that place that joggers talk about, that peace, not that I am not finding peace in my life now, but let's face it, the facts prove that when people quit smoking the chances of weight gain are kind of likely and I am already a chunk. However, on that note I realized what a chunk I am the other day and began taking measures to remedy the situation. Hello my Empower Core Ball - it's already working (Praise the Lord), I see Miss Muffin getting a little smaller.

Today at work, I started getting this new feeling of strength. All week long I have been praying harder than normal as I am walking to work that God will show me what I need to know, show me how to serve Him on the job. That He will use me in the workplace. This week it seems that the knowledge I have gained is starting to fit together and I am starting to understand more. The other day I went to a woman's office area (I don't really know her) and on her desk she had a bible and I commented on it. We small talked for a moment and she mentioned that she was having some rough times on the job - at that moment, I walked back to her and told her quietly "The safest place to be during times of peril is right in the middle of God's will". (I have this posted on my computer at work and isn't it the truth?)

Today that woman called me for business and it was neat to hear as we went to say goodbye, she thanked me for being just what she needed in that moment and told me how the words with me have carried her through the week. Wow, God used me. How exciting that something that he filled me with ran over to her and helped her along and that she was so happy to have found a fellow christian on the job. Praise the Lord. God used me. Isn't that what it's all about?

I am still remarking on how hard the last two weeks were for me and how I CHOSE (key word there) to sit it out, kind of lay low with God and if I can say this, relax through the difficulty trusting that I would get something good out of it for His glory. What greatness I got, all because I made a choice. I got the greatness of knowing that He will carry us through those yucky times and that we don't have to let our feelings mess us up. I felt bad the last few weeks, but I did not let that stop me from smiling on the outside, I didn't let it stop me from praising God, I did not let it stop me from singing. Those bummed feelings stopped me from nothing. I won! Wow, I am victorious, all because I remembered the safest place to be.

Today I ask you to join me in prayer that we all find our safe places. That we trust in those safe places and that we carry on during times of being bummed. I promise it is so cool to get to the other side after them and see that we are stronger, better, and more able to be a blessing to those around us.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. Just take it a little at a time with the running. Start with a mile and allow yourself to walk parts. Then when you're running the whole mile add more distance. There is something cathartic about it. Glad things are going well for you in your heart right now and you see good things around you. And YEAH for quitting smoking. Its a huge positive step.

    ReplyDelete