Friday, January 21, 2011

Giving Myself a Break

Through this 21 day Daniel fast, God has been revealing many things to my heart. One of those big things is that I am doing ok. I have discovered that I can be pretty hard on myself and demand so very much of myself that I need to take a step back and see all I have accomplished in order to take a step forward and grow in Christ. I have become so busy doing that I have not been able to just be. I am not talking in any way shape or form about complacency, I am talking about basking in the the glow of Christ and enjoying all that I am and am becoming in Him.

Although I have no plans whatsoever in slowing down in my pursuit of Him, I have decided to take this spring to allow myself to enjoy some of this life around me and my family as well as spread the love of Christ in areas besides in church. I am going to be taking a harmonica class starting next month as I have for so very long wanted to learn to play this instrument and I am vowing to do this. I am going to reconnect with an old friend and go every other week on a walk with the Sacramento Walking Sticks with her. I am going to eat dinner with my mother at least every other week as well. I am getting serious now about my training for the half marathon. I am taking a golf class on Saturday mornings to help me cut the cost of my bus pass, and hey, who knows what God has in store regarding this class. I'm devoting myself to raising my girl and trying to find ways to raise the money that will allow for her to go to Fiji with her youth group this summer.

I will be in church every Sunday worshiping God with my church family. I missed a Sunday recently to prepare for my fast, but I must be honest and say that I hate to miss church, so that is something I rarely will ever do. I am simply giving myself a little break from the have to's and letting myself do some of the want to's of life, all the while doing the do's that Christ calls me to and avoiding the dont's. This Daniel fast has shown me that it is ok for me to relax on myself a little bit. I don't have to be perfect for God to love me. I don't have to try so hard. Heck, I'm hoping to even be able to join my family for Sunday dinners, maybe I'll just let myself do that.

Today join me in prayer that we sometimes just give ourselves a break and trust that we will be ok in doing so.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. God wouldn't give us the ability to have pleasure if he did want us to experience it. I think good things can only because bad things if they start choking out God like in the parable of the sower. If the cares of this world stop us from growing in our relationship to the Lord. It looks like you are finding your way just fine.

    ReplyDelete