Saturday, November 6, 2010

Convoy of Hope Recap

For the last two weeks, I have been praying about Convoy of Hope and the one person whose life I was going to touch or bring to know Christ. I met her. I knew it was her from the moment we first had contact. We spent a few moments together with her children and then I led the kids to the coloring tables so mom and I could have some time together. I told her she was the one and that she was what God had brought me there for. We had some truly great time and sharing together. I do hope to run into her again and I do hope that she will remember the love of Christ that flowed from me to her. Because of meeting this girl, my dream of what I hoped that God would use me for at the event was answered. However, God didn't stop there.

My biggest surprise of the day was how I was used by God in Spanish. I met a woman from another church that was there volunteering as well who didn't speak English and we were enjoying talking to each other while in line waiting to serve the guests coming into the prayer tent. Because of our conversations, the greeters and the pastor to my new friend caught on that I spoke Spanish. I hadn't written "Espanol" on my nametag because I was uncertain of how confident I was. I guess I did just fine because I understood the needs and was able to convey the love of God completely. The only disservice I think I might have done to our Spanish only speaking guests that I served was that when I prayed, I really needed to do most of that in English because that is the language that I speak to God in and just didn't want to struggle for words while praying.

I have to share the moment I walked into the prayer tent. It was a big white tent and as soon as I crossed under the threshold of the tent I felt this instant surge of emotion. I know that was the Holy Spirit welcoming me to the place He had been calling me to be.

One of my the most intimate times I had today was with a man who lives on the streets and struggles with alcoholism. Wow is all I can say. The complete candor we had with him answering my questions and telling me of life on the streets was real. I can't explain how the openness he shared with me touched me. It was eye-opening in such a non-judgmental way on my part. He really seemed resigned to life as it was, but yet had such goodness in him and a love for the Lord.

Another blessed moment came to me when I talked with another prayer volunteer, an older lady, and asked her how her day went. I almost cried when she told me of the mexican father with the 5 children, the oldest being a 12 year old son, and how she was sowing in the father, not even knowing she would be reaping in that son. That young man told her he wanted to know Christ and invited him into his heart. That 12 year old son, the woman told me, hugged her 3 times, the last time almost not wanting to let go. That young man will remember this day forever.

I had no idea that praying with people could be so exhausting. I finally kind of just stopped. I had nothing left to give and at one point I just could pray no more. It was weird. I fell in love even deeper with the people of my church. I loved the fact that no matter where I went on the grounds - I could say or do something Christian to anybody in a grey shirt like mine and be totally understood. That was cool. I'd love it if the whole world were like that, but it's not. Funny thing is, half the time I act like it is.

All in all, a blessed day. Full of giving love away. After all, love is nothing til it's given away, you end up having more.

Today join me in prayer that the people that were touched at this event keep that feeling of love that each and every one of us volunteers gave to them. That love was real and different for each guest, but real is the key word there. After all, it was the love of Jesus and how much more real can that be?

Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment