Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stolen Umbrellas - No Strings Attached

I have come to realize that unlike my Whatever who almost everything he has came from me, very little of the "things" I have came from my Whatever giving them to me and have noticed that one by one those "things" have broken, become lost or I just plain threw them away. I had - to my knowledge, 3 things left that he has given to me. One of those things was my "Mary Poppins" umbrella.

One time we had taken a trip to Monterey for the weekend and it was raining there, something we hadn't expected, so he bought me this polka dot umbrella. I still have pictures of me on the beach doing my Mary Poppins dance. Unbeknownst to me, the rain boots I bought last year matched my umbrella and I have been enjoying owning and using the matching set this year. Well, anyways, that umbrellas always reminded me of times with my Whatever. Yesterday, it was raining in the morning as I went to my bus stop so of course I was using my umbrella. I entered the bus and left it lying on this rack thing and when I went to retreive it, my umbrella was gone.

Darn. I really loved that umbrella. I know we aren't supposed to love "things" so to change my wording, I thoroughly enjoyed ownership of that umbrella. It was a cool umbrella and I will miss owning it. When I discovered that it was gone. One of the very first things I thought was that this was in God's will that it disappeared. Now, I can only think of two things that I own that were of my whatever. One that I gave to him on our tenth wedding anniversary and funny, the one he gave to me on that same date. The item he gave me really means nothing to me, but the one I gave to him touches my heart greatly because I know my intent when I gave it.

I almost instantly asked God if He would please just for this one material item protect it in my grasp for at least a little while longer. I just don't want it to go away. I trust though that God has this all under control and I am just about certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will wake up one day and this item that I care about will be gone. I know that when that time comes, I will be ready for that. And maybe, just maybe - I will get to that point where I no longer have any strings attached. Hey, if I get to that point, maybe God will let me keep that one last thing that matters? Who knows. But I guess at that point, maybe it won't matter anymore anyways.

Today I ask you to join me in prayer that we let God's will happen. That we don't feel afraid and we trust when that will happens we will be ready for whatever it entails in our lives. After all, thy kingdom come, thy will be done... No earthly strings attached. Also, please join me in prayer that possibly my umbrella was taken on accident and will be returned on Monday morning or pray for the person that took it, maybe they just needed it more than I did.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting I wrote on a similar topic today. Not that I'm attached to things but I am attached to the memories those thing hold and represent something that is gone and lost. It's the mourning process I think. You will come to a day when you can look at it and smile at the memory and if not you will probably want to toss it at one point. Because things in and of themselves have no power. It's the meaning we associate with them that counts. Anyway just my ramblings!!

    ReplyDelete